Log in

Latest Club News & Info

  • 09/08/2023 9:26 AM | Chuck Nicewonder (Administrator)

    Speedtrap Ride Tuesday September 5th recap

              Great weather brought forty cyclists to Elmore Tuesday evening for the latest edition of the Speedtrap Ride. Although it was hot, with a temperature in the upper 80s, there was a mild southwest wind, and no complaints.

              Scott Lang led his Ghost Pepper Riders to a 23.3 mph average.

              Bob Kayden and his  Cayenne Pepper Ridders rode to a 22.2 mph average.

              Ken South and Tony Mazurek led the Habanero Riders. Ken reported a riding average of 20 mph.

              Todd Pollock led fourteen Jalapeno riders and reported a riding average of 17.7 mph.

              The Sweet Pepper Riders again split into two groups. The faster group reported a riding average of 17.3 mph, while Claude Watkins reported 16 mph for his group.

              There were some first-time Speedtrap Riders: Veteran TAB member Eric Wharton, pictured in green jersey; Susan Shade, pictured(flag jersey) with husband Mark Shade, and Jim and Barb Freund, also pictured(blue and pink shirts). Welcome all to the Speedtrap Ride!

              After the ride, several gathered in the bike shop to celebrate Kathy Metzger’s birthday. Happy Birthday, Kathy!

              Please join us next Tuesday, September 12th, for the next Speedtrap Ride. Ride time will be 6:15 pm. Please note the time! The long-range weather forecast calls for a high temperature of 69 degrees and over a 60% chance of light rain. However, hopefully that will change. Only two Speedtrap Rides have been cancelled in 8 years! Sign-in will begin at 5:45 pm in front of the bike shop. I hope to see you then.

    Reminder: Vintage Bike Night September 26th!

    Chuck Nicewonder

  • 09/07/2023 9:20 PM | Jodie Petcoff (Administrator)

    The Meanderer's are rolling out of Elmore, Ohio this Saturday, Sept 9th at 8am. Meet up at Woodmore High School for a 36-mile loop that will highlight the Portage River, Toussaint River, and the Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge. Hydration and a snack are a must for the route this weekend! We hope that you'll join us for another amazing weekend to go out and ride bikes!!

    Woodmore High School, 633 Fremont St, Elmore, OH 43416

  • 09/06/2023 9:56 PM | Joseph Peltier (Administrator)

    Mighty Cyclists,

    Reported results for Thursday 8/31/2023

    Group 1 (Hot1) - Came in with a 25.3 average.  Wharton and his new wheels set the roads on fire

    Group 2 (Hot2) -  Tim reported an average of 23.0.  Another fast ride for Tim and his Starship Troopers

    Group 3 (Xtra Spicy/Bold Picante Combined) - Kris reported an average of 21.8.  As always, a nice effort indeed

    Group 5 (Spicy Plus) - Keith and his spirited group reported an average of 18.00

    Group 6 (Spicy) - Dave and Mark with their extremely happy group of riders reported an average of 17. 

    Group 7 (GLR) - John Galdeen reported an average of 14 over a 20 mile route.  John went the extra mile after the ride helping a rider install a new saddle.  Way to go John!


    The ride for 9/7/2023

    START TIME IS 1800 (6PM).  Nights are getting exponentially shorter every day now.  Make sure to outfit your stallions with lights.  Be safe and be seen.

    The heat should be moving out for our ride.  Start time temps are predicted to be 73 with a west wind of 7 mph gusting to 15.  There is a 34% chance of rain.  I am betting on the 66% chance of no rain. 

    With the earlier start time, we will probably see some work traffic.  So please use caution on all turns and intersections. 

    Be safe, have fun.

    Tonight's rides and ride leaders:

    Group 1 (Hot1) - Avg: 20-25+ mph, 26 mi:    Ben Groves

    Group 2 (Hot2) - Avg: Less than Hot1 26 mi:   Tim Eckel

    Group 3 (Xtra Spicy/Hot 3) - Avg: 19-21+ mph, 26 mi:  Eric Wharton

    Group 4 (Bold Picante) - Avg: 19-21 mph, 26 mi: Traci Bash

    Group 5 (Spicy Plus) - Avg: 18-19.5 mph, 26 mi:  Keith

    Group 6 (Spicy) - Avg: 16-18 mph, 24 mi:  Dave/Mark

    Group 7 (GLR) - Avg: 14-16 mph, 20 mi:  John Galdeen

  • 09/06/2023 7:06 PM | Daniel Riley (Administrator)

    Ready for something different? Guest leader Eric Warton will lead the group this weekend. Starting at Fort Meigs, Eric is sending you up the river to Grand Rapids then to good ole Oak Openings and back to Pburg. Start time is still 8:00 a.m. Rolling speeds will be18-22, depending on group and wind. This is a no drop ride. Thanks to Eric for filling in!


  • 09/06/2023 11:54 AM | Edgar Rapp (Administrator)

    Windsday Ride Reminder

    Just a reminder, start time through September is 6:00pm

    Weather Channel:

    Wind SW@10mph, Temp 77F, Precipitation 17%


    Wind SW@14mph, Temp 78F, Scattered Thunderstorms 60%

  • 09/04/2023 5:34 PM | Chuck Nicewonder (Administrator)

    Speedtrap Ride Tuesday September 5th

              The Speedtrap Ride, the best Tuesday night ride out of Ottawa County,

    will roll out tomorrow, Tuesday, September 5th, from Spoke Life Cycles in Elmore, Ohio, at 6:30 pm.  Please note the time!

              Scott Lang will lead the Ghost Pepper Riders and will likely average 22 to 24 mph! Are you up to the challenge!

              Bob Kayden will take out his Cayenne Pepper Riders and will likely average 21 to 22+ mph.

              Ken South and Tony Mazurek are co-leaders for the Habanero Ridders. Their group will likely average 20 to 22+ mph.

              Todd Pollock will lead his Jalapeno Riders and return with an average somewhere between 17 and 19 mph.

              I plan to ride out with the Sweet Pepper Riders, those who would like to ride at a more casual pace.

              The weather forecast is for temperatures in the mid to upper 80s, a SSW wind of 8 mph, partly cloudy skies, and only a 5% chance of precipitation. Sunset will be at 7:59 pm, so slower riders should have lights, both front and rear.

              After the ride, we will be celebrating Kathy Metzger’s birthday. Come on out to Elmore! Ride some quiet country roads with some great people, and celebrate Kathy’s birthday! Sign-in begins at 6:00 in front of the bike shop. I hope to see you then!

    Chuck Nicewonder

  • 09/03/2023 4:18 PM | Kenneth Shaw (Administrator)

    No westerly tonight. Headed out to East Harbor for a leisure ride in the Fat bike, and maybe a swim to cool off. Have a great weekend!

  • 09/01/2023 6:58 PM | David Barret (Administrator)

    Happy Labor Day Weekend!

    As many of you know, TAB usually doesn’t conduct any club rides on Federal Holidays. So there won’t be an official Monday night Waterville ride out of Farnsworth Park this Monday, 9/04/23. However, some riders can still ride for fun, just know that it’s not an official TAB ride. 

    In the morning, there will be another opportunity for a fun ride heading out of Wildwood MetroPark, 5100 Central Ave, Toledo, OH 43615, (see attached Ride with GPS link). Kris J. With others, will be leading this ride. AVS will be a nice and easy 15-17 with rolling speeds possibly up to 19mph. The intent is to accommodate a larger group with varied riding abilities. This is an unofficial ride, just for fun. Roll-out time is 8:00am.

    If you’re not otherwise engaged with picnics or other holiday activities, hope to see you there!


    David Barret


  • 09/01/2023 3:31 PM | Chuck Nicewonder (Administrator)

    Important Message to All TAB Members

              Joe Peltier, leader of TAB’s Thursday 5fer ride, will be stepping down at the end of September, 2023 as “el capitan.” Joe has done an excellent job in keeping TAB’s most popular ride going, especially with issues that have occurred and through his injury. I am sure  TAB members are grateful for his leadership over the last 2 ½ years. Thank you Joe!

              Now would be the time for someone to step up to perhaps work with Joe for the last four 5fer rides of 2023 to get ready for the 2024 season. Let’s keep TAB’s most popular ride rolling.

              I hope to hear from you soon. Or…you can talk to Joe or any other member of the TAB board.

    Chuck Nicewonder

    TAB Ride Captain


  • 08/31/2023 8:46 PM | Chuck Nicewonder (Administrator)

    Just a reminder that TAB evening rides traditionally start at 6:00 in September. However, riders should check with individual rides and leaders to verify start times.

    Chuck Nicewonder

    TAB Ride Captain

© 2024 Toledo Area Bicyclists

All Rights Reserved

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software